Naples Hardcore Tourist Itinerary
A Naples itinerary for the intrepid tourist who doesn't want to waste a moment of their visit. A full (on!) day where you get to see the very best of Naples and surrounding area.
For the hardcore tourist (bring a pack lunch and lots of water!):
- Spend one and a half hours in Pompeii (suggested route in our guide to Pompeii section).
- Walk back the way you came to the car park near the station, and catch the coach to Vesuvius and back down again. (Tickets should be available at the station).
- Catch the 14:23 train back towards Naples, however get off at the Ercolano Scavi stop. It is a 10 minute walk to Herculaneum (see map and our guide to Herculaneum).
- Spend an hour at Herculaneum and catch the 16:06 train back that is heading towards Naples (around 20 min to Garibaldi Station).
- Take the metro from the station to Dante station. Walk through Port'Alba to the historical centre. Find somewhere for a coffee and relax. Don't forget your rum baba.
- Spend two hours walking around the small shops and don't miss out on seeing: Spaccanapoli and Via dei Tribunali, Naples Cathedral, Santa Chiara Church and if you are feeling really adventurous squeeze in a tour of the Subterranean - see our labelled map.
- At 7.30pm (avoiding the queues that start from 8pm) have a pizza on Via dei Tribunali.
- After your pizza, walk back to Dante and down the main street (or take the metro to Toledo for less walking) towards the sea. Turn right into the area of Chiaia and have an evening drink by the sea in the wake of Vesuvius.
- Take the metro or taxi back for some well deserved sleep.
For this day it will be best to have cash on hand for all the tickets, however be very protective of your money as the Circumvesuviana line has a reputation for pick pocketing.